Ousama Ranking, also known as Ranking of Kings, is a Japanese web manga series written and illustrated by Sōsuke Tōka. It has been serialized online via Echoes’ user-submitted Manga Hack website since May 2017 and has been collected in seventeen tankōbon volumes by Enterbrain. The story follows the adventures of a little prince named Bojji, who was born deaf and tiny in size, and his friend Kage, a survivor of a wiped-out assassin clan, who understands Bojji’s words despite him being unable to speak.
Why is Ousama Ranking so popular?
Ousama Ranking has become incredibly popular due to its heartwarming story, lovable characters, and stunning animation. The manga has been praised by critics and fans alike for its unique premise, its realistic portrayal of disability, and its emphasis on the importance of friendship and family. The anime adaptation, which aired in 2021, was also a critical and commercial success, winning numerous awards and being nominated for an Academy Award.
In this blog post, we will take a deep dive into the world of Ousama Ranking. We will discuss the story, the characters, the themes, the symbolism, the production, the reception, and the legacy of this groundbreaking manga and anime series.
Plot and characters
Ousama Ranking is set in a world where people are ranked based on their strength, intelligence, and social status. The king is the highest-ranked person in the land, and the heir to the throne is typically the firstborn child of the king and queen. However, in the case of Bojji, the prince of the Bosse Kingdom, things are not so simple.
Bojji was born deaf and tiny in size. He is unable to speak or wield a sword, and he is constantly ridiculed by his peers and even his own family. However, Bojji has a big heart and a strong determination to prove that he is worthy of being king.
One day, Bojji meets a mysterious shadow assassin named Kage. Kage is the sole survivor of a clan of assassins that was wiped out by Bojji’s father, the king. Despite this, Kage becomes Bojji’s friend and protector.
Together, Bojji and Kage embark on a journey to overcome the obstacles in Bojji’s way and to prove that he is worthy of being king. Along the way, they will face many challenges, but they will also learn the true meaning of friendship, courage, and determination.
The main characters of Ousama Ranking
- Bojji: The deaf and tiny prince of the Bosse Kingdom. Bojji is a kind and compassionate person with a strong determination to prove that he is worthy of being king.
- Kage: A mysterious shadow assassin who becomes Bojji’s friend and protector. Kage is a skilled fighter and a loyal friend.
- Daida: Bojji’s older brother and the heir to the throne. Daida is a strong and talented prince, but he is also arrogant and insecure.
- Hiling: A kind and gentle princess who is Bojji’s best friend. Hiling is always there to support Bojji, no matter what.
- Desha: The king of the Bosse Kingdom and Bojji and Daida’s father. Desha is a powerful and respected king, but he is also a distant and cold father.
The World of Ousama Ranking
The world of Ousama Ranking is a fantastical place filled with magic and monsters. The kingdom is divided into different regions, each with its own unique culture and customs.
The ranking system is a central part of the world of Ousama Ranking. People are ranked based on their strength, intelligence, and social status. The higher a person’s rank, the more respect and power they have.
Themes and symbolism
- The importance of friendship and family: Bojji’s friendship with Kage and Hiling is one of the most important things in his life. They are always there to support him and help him achieve his goals. The story teaches us that friendship and family are the most important things in the world.
- The importance of self-belief: Bojji is told over and over again that he is not worthy of being king. However, he never gives up on himself. The story teaches us that it is important to believe in ourselves, even when others don’t.
- The importance of forgiveness: Bojji has been wronged by many people, including his own family. However, he learns to forgive them and move on. The story teaches us that forgiveness is essential for healing and happiness.
The ranking system in Ousama Ranking is a symbol of the social hierarchy. The higher a person’s rank, the more power and respect they have. However, the story shows us that the ranking system is not perfect. It is possible for a person to be high in the rankings but still be a bad person. The story also shows us that it is possible to be low in the rankings but still be a good person.
Another important symbol in Ousama Ranking is the shadow. The shadow represents Bojji’s inner strength and determination. It also represents the bond between Bojji and Kage.
You can also read about Houseki no Kuni Manga.
Production and reception
Ousama Ranking was produced by WIT Studio and MAPPA. WIT Studio is known for its work on popular anime series such as Attack on Titan and Vinland Saga. MAPPA is known for its work on popular anime series such as Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man.
The animation in Ousama Ranking is stunning. The characters are expressive and the backgrounds are beautifully detailed. The music is also excellent, and it perfectly complements the story.
The reception of Ousama Ranking
Ousama Ranking was a critical and commercial success. The anime adaptation won numerous awards, including the Anime of the Year award at the Crunchyroll Anime Awards. It was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.
Ousama Ranking has been praised for its heartwarming story, lovable characters, and stunning animation. The story has also been praised for its realistic portrayal of disability and its emphasis on the importance of friendship and family.
Ousama Ranking is a groundbreaking manga and anime series that has captured the hearts of fans all over the world. It is a story about overcoming adversity, the importance of friendship and family, and the power of self-belief.